Gone with the Wind, an American literary and cinematic masterpiece, depicts a very fragile and transitional time in our nation’s history. In honor of the film’s 75th anniversary, we celebrated the fabulous nature of Ms. Scarlett O’Hara in a Gone with the Wind inspired wedding shoot in October of 2016. Unusually warm for that time of year, we were able to fully enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of the land that would be our own personal Tara for just that day. Here a just a few tips on ways to accomplish your own Gone with the Wind inspired wedding:
- A historical venue is the perfect setting. A mansion or even a plantation is ideal! Be sure that the grounds are lush and picturesque.
- Be sure to include touches of the time such as a Southern Comfort signature drink or a cigar bar that Rhett Butler himself would love to indulge.
- Work with your photographer and communicate your idea and inspiration. Have the photographer capture some iconic shots inspired by stills from the film.
- Create a southern menu that will make your guests feel like Scarlett herself fashioned each serving. Remember, they did have that great big barbeque!
- Select a scene or element from the movie that you absolutely adore. Once you have selected it, be strategic about implementing your execution without it being theme-oriented. We chose to focus on Scarlett’s signature color of green.
In paying homage to that vibrant green dress Ms. O’Hara fashioned out of dusty old curtains, you can only imagine our surprise and joy that that we were also able to base our shoot around what would later be announced as Pantone’s Color of the Year 2017 – Greenery. With the help of Grey Rock Mansion’s red brick steps, gorgeous white pillars and the expanse of preserved grounds and space, we fashioned our vision of a wedding in “The Old South”.
Partners & Contributors
Makeup & hair styling by – Melissa Mangrum
Photography – Livingston Lee
Set Designer, Jewelry, & Decor – Tami Brown, Blush Weddings & Events by Tami B.
Table Linens – Gala Cloths
Drape & Lighting – 27 Studios
Cake Designer – Fresh Bakery
Groom Fashion – Christopher Schafer
Bride Fashion – Gambardella’s
Venue – Grey Rock Mansion